Book a FREE Valuation > Branches Contact Us

Published on : November 25, 2020 15:01

Cottages Cheshire Edward Mellor

Exchanging contracts? Get insured first

Purchasing a property can be a busy, stressful time and it can seem like there are a million things to remember. Some things however are more important to remember than others – for example, getting the right insurance in place at the right time. Many people believe that they only need to take out buildings insurance once they move into their new home. However, this is not the case. It can come as a surprise to find out that, in most cases, the responsibility for insuring the property becomes the buyers as soon as contracts are exchanged.

Avoid stress, get prepared

  • Exchange: Once contracts have been exchanged, you are committed to the purchase can’t back out without forfeiting your deposit
  • Insure: If the property is damaged or destroyed between exchange and completion, you’re still contractually bound to complete the purchase and will immediately face hefty costs to repair your brand new home.
  • Relax: To avoid stress and guarantee peace of mind, researching your options in advance, and taking out insurance on the day contracts are exchanged is very important.

Getting the right policy

Buildings insurance covers the cost of repairing or rebuilding your property in the event of damage. It covers the structure of the property, as well as outbuildings such as garages and sheds and fences, and external items such as pipes, cables, and drains. It doesn’t cover possessions and furniture inside your home – you will need a separate contents insurance policy for this.

How much you pay for buildings insurance will depend on the rebuild value of your new home. This should not be confused with the property’s current asking price. It is how much it would cost to completely rebuild your home from scratch. There are tools available to help you calculate the rebuild value of your home, including a special calculator on the Association of British Insurers’ website.

We can help you find the most suitable buildings insurance policy for your circumstances, giving you one less thing to worry about. We can also advise on any additional cover you may need and get everything in place by the time you exchange contracts.

If you would like to discuss your options with an Edward Mellor Financial Advisor please do get in touch. Or you can call us on 0161 443 4830 or email [email protected] – we’re here to help.


Disclaimer: As with all insurance policies, conditions and exclusions will apply.


Related Links

Find a mortgage

Borrowing options in your later years

Hot Property to buy


Copy link
Powered by Social Snap