Book a FREE Valuation > Branches Contact Us

Published on : April 2, 2020 13:36

What’s the guidance for renters impacted by the COVID-19 crisis?

The government have implemented a whole host of measures to help those who have been financially affected by Coronavirus.

Although there’s a lot of safeguarding in place to protect tenants, many are still unsure of what help they’re entitled to at this difficult time.

We’ve pulled together a list of FAQs to help you understand the new government legislation and how it affects you.

Q: Will I be evicted if I can’t pay my rent?

In the latest guide for landlords and tenants released by the Government, they highlight new emergency legislation that has been put into place to stop new evictions of tenants.

The Coronavirus Act 2020 will protect tenants in private and social rented sectors from being evicted over the coming months.

The new measure state that where landlords do need to issue notices seeking possession, the notice period must be for three months.

As of the 27th of March, any claims in the system or about to go into the system will be affected by a 90 days suspension of possession hearings and orders.

As a result of these measures, renters shouldn’t worry about the threat of eviction for the next three months.

Q: What should I do if I’m worried about paying my rent?

If you’re struggling to pay your rent as a direct result of the Coronavirus outbreak, you should speak to your landlord or letting agent immediately.

By speaking to your landlord or agent, you can explain your situation, and together, you can explore ways of managing it.

If it does look like you will struggle to pay your rent after reviewing your finances, we recommend having the conversation before your rent is due.

Q: Do you have any advice for someone self-isolating in shared accommodation?

Tenants in shared accommodation who are self-isolating should follow the Government’s advice, to minimise the risk of infecting others.

This is particularly important where individuals are sharing facilities such as kitchens and bathrooms.

It’s also important that tenants in shared properties let the property manager know if they have symptoms, the property manager can then let fellow tenants know.

As per government advice, the whole household should now self-isolate for 14 days.

The NLA has compiled a useful guide to help minimise health risks in rented accommodation.

Q: If I need something urgently repairing, what should I do?

If you have something that urgently needs tending to, like a burst pipe, you will need to contact your landlord or lettings agent immediately.

Landlords remain legally obligated to ensure properties meet the required standard – urgent, essential health and safety repairs should be made.

An agreement for non-urgent repairs to be done later should be made between tenants and landlords.

If you’re an Edward Mellor tenant, you can report any emergency repairs here.

Further Guidance

If you’d like to read the latest government guide for landlords and tenants, please click here.

If we’ve missed a question you’d like to know the answer to or you simply want a chat, please get in touch.

Although our branches are closed, our dedicated team of property managers are still working remotely.

Call us today on 0161 443 4777 or email [email protected].

Related Links

Latest Government Guide for Landlords and Tenants

Covid- 19 Update From Edward Mellor 

Edward Mellor Renting Home

Copy link
Powered by Social Snap