Book a FREE Valuation > Branches Contact Us

Published on : December 20, 2023 11:34

Reporting rental property maintenance over Christmas

As we head into the festive period, we want to make all our tenants aware of the process with regards to property maintenance, in addition to diagnosing issues.

We’d like to take this opportunity to wish you, your friends, and your family, a Merry Christmas from all of us at Edward Mellor.

As the festive period nears, we wanted to make you aware of our opening hours, and procedures in place into the New Year relating to reporting any maintenance issues.

Property maintenance over Christmas

We want you and your family to feel safe and secure in your property over the coming weeks. With our team taking a break to enjoy the festivities, we have made sure that you still have access to reporting any prospective maintenance problems, and how to address emergencies.

Reporting maintenance problems online

Our online maintenance platform is available 24/7 and is to be utilised to report any issues with your property. Maintenance problems will be responded to during operational hours. We ask that all tenants be as descriptive as possible when logging problems, and provide photographic evidence to assist us and our maintenance contractors when responding to issues.

If you need to report a maintenance issue, you will need your login details provided by your property manager to access the system. If you are struggling to log in or need to speak to your property manager, please call our lettings office on 0161 443 4777 during working hours.


What should you do in the event of an emergency?

In the event of an emergency during the festive period, you can instruct your own contractor for works up to the value of £150 + VAT if the office is closed the following day. You should still raise the job via our online maintenance platform so that we have a transparent log of the issue. You should also confirm what action has been taken, with picture evidence before and after the work has been carried out.

Emergencies include:

  • Uncontainable leaks where the water must be turned off at the stop cock.
  • No power. You must check the fuse board/trip switches first.
  • No heating or hot water. You must check and top up the pressure on the boiler first.
  • A complete lock failure to the main door, rendering the property unsecured.
  • A toilet in the property will not flush and/or is blocked (where there is only one toilet in the property).
  • No bathing facilities are operational and there are no other alternatives available in the property (such as an en-suite, additional bathroom, etc).

Please be advised if you instruct a contractor to attend to an issue that is not deemed an emergency as stated above, the landlord may not reimburse your costs. Please keep all invoices/receipts as these will be required by us to issue a request for your reimbursement.

What should I do if any of these emergencies occur?

Uncontainable leaks

You should turn off the water at the stop tap at the earliest opportunity. Any water that has leaked needs to be mopped up to avoid any further damage or cause you to slip.

No Electricity

If the power in your property shuts off, then you should check your fuse box to see if any of the fuses have tripped. If they have, then switch them back on to see if this has resolved the issue.

If the switch continues to trip, the likelihood is that one of your appliances or electronic devices is causing it to happen. You should check each appliance individually to see if they are the culprit for the switch tripping.

Flip the fuse back on and turn each appliance on one by one to see which is causing the issue. If you can identify the appliance causing the issue, you should refrain from using it until it can be inspected and/or fixed.

You should also check to see if neighbouring properties have lost power, as this will be the result of a local power cut. Your electricity provider in the area will be made aware and you will have to wait until they can restore the power.

Lock Failure / Break-In

Should you lose your keys to gain access to the property, you will be required to have a locksmith attend the property to change the locks. The safety of the keys is your responsibility, and therefore you will be liable for the cost of a lock change.

If your property has been broken into and the locks are damaged, you will need to contact the police and obtain the crime reference number. The landlord will be able to reimburse you for these costs.

In the event any windows or doors are broken, you will need to arrange to have these boarded up until a replacement can be sought. If your keys are stolen during a break-in, then you will also need to arrange for a locksmith to visit the property. These costs will be reimbursed subject to a crime reference number.

What you should do in the event of a suspected gas leak

In the event of a suspected gas leak, you should call National Grid on 0800 111 999 at any time of day or night.

Need to get in touch?

If you need anything from us over the Christmas holidays, click here to see the opening times for your local lettings office.

Copy link
Powered by Social Snap