Book a FREE Valuation > Branches Contact Us

Published on : November 9, 2023 09:51

A Seller’s Guide: Essential Documentation for Selling Your Home

Selling your home and wondering what documents you need to sell your house? We are here to help.

Preparation is key for a smooth sale and for getting you where you need to be. Rest assured Edward Mellor is here to help guide you through this process. So, let us delve into the documentation you will need.

Please note you do not need all of these documents to market your property, our valuer will advise you based on your specific situation.

Quick Reference of the Paperwork Required to Sell a House

  • Photo ID & Proof of address
  • Material Information
    • Property Information Form (TA6)
    • Leasehold Information Form (TA7)
  • Fittings and Contents Form (TA10)
  • Property Title Deeds
  • Probate & Power of Attorney
  • Energy Performance Certificate (EPC)
  • Mortgage Details
  • Selling Agents Agreement
  • Solicitor Details

1. Photo ID & Proof Address: Verify Yourself

To prevent fraud, you’ll need to provide proof of identity and your current address. We will need two separate documents to do this, one from List 1 and one from List 2 below:

List 1:

• Original Passports
• Driving Licence
• Inland Revenue Tax Notification
• Benefits or Pension Book

List 2:

• Driving Licence
• Utility Bill (within 3 months)
• Rates Bill
• Tenancy Agreement
• Benefits Book
• Bank Statement
• Mortgage Statement

2. Material Information

The next set of documents relates to ‘Material Facts’ that may impact a Buyer’s decision in purchasing your home. They provide your potential buyers with more transparency and are split into three parts. 

For a full list please see here

We appreciate the list is long so, our team will be able to advise you depending on your specific situation.

Part A: Material information that impacts ALL properties.

This is your Council Tax, Asking Price and Tenure. We will guide you through this information however, some examples of documents in this section are:

  • Property Information Form (TA6): details crucial information about your property, from mobile signal/coverage to council tax details. Being transparent builds trust and avoids issues down the road.
  • Leasehold Information Form (TA7): For Leasehold Properties you will also need to include a TA7 Leasehold Information that includes specific details about the current lease term, Ground Rent and Service Charge fees.

Part B: Characteristics of the property.

This will be information relating to the physical characteristics of your property like the source of Electricity, water and heating as well as details on parking.

Part C: Planning permissions, flood areas, regulations

The final part covers any information resulting from where the property is itself such as if the property has a flood risk, building safety and planning permissions or proposals.

3. Fittings and Contents Form (TA10): What’s Staying, What’s Going

Detail what fixtures and fittings are included or excluded in the sale. This helps avoid confusion and ensures everyone is on the same page about what stays with the property.

4. Property Title Deeds: Lay the Foundation

Your title deed proves that you are the rightful owner of your property. Most properties are registered by the Land Registry (if sold after 1993), so can be accessed by your solicitor as the sale progresses.

If your home is not registered we will be able to help you by getting you in touch with a conveyancing solicitor who will help you apply for a First Registration and put your case together.


There may be occasions where you sell a property and the deeds are not in your name. In the case of probate, an executor of the estate will act as the decision maker. All you need in this case is the Grant of Probate. Please note you only need to have applied for Probate to market your property.

Power of Attorney:

This is similar to probate in that you may be acting on behalf of someone else to sell their property. In a Lasting Power of Attorney case, those named on the document would make decisions relating to the property and its sale.

5. Energy Performance Certificate (EPC): Efficiency Matters

Legally you will need an EPC to sell your property (unless exempt), you can check the Energy Certificate Service to see if your property has a valid certificate. If your property does not have a valid EPC we can arrange one for you.

6. Mortgage Details: Secure the funds

If you are selling and purchasing onwards, having your current mortgage details ready as soon as you are ready to sell will make the process that much easier. As part of our service to vendors we offer free advice to help with this, just get in touch with one of our financial advisors who can help you weigh up all of the available options and get the best deal.

7. Selling Agents Agreement:

This is the agreement between all owners and us, the Estate Agent. It will outline our fees, services, and the duration of the contract if you have any questions about the agreement please contact the valuer.

It is important to note if on the market with someone else you may be liable for two fees.

8. Solicitor Details: Be legally prepared

Having your solicitor ready from the listing stage will help ensure a smooth transaction – leaving you free to focus on other matters. If you would like a quote simply complete the form on our conveyancing page for your free quote.

Conclusion: Navigating the Home Selling Journey

Selling your home involves more than just curb appeal. Providing the right documentation ensures a smoother transaction and helps you and your buyer avoid any bumps along the way. By being organised and transparent, you set the stage for a successful sale.

Edward Mellor is here to help at every stage of the sales process. With a network of offices throughout Tameside, Stockport, Cheshire, and Greater Manchester, our local branches can offer all of the local expert advice you need to complete a successful property sale.

Happy selling!

Share via
Copy link
Powered by Social Snap